Monday, February 15, 2016

To: Auntie Betty

Dear Auntie Betty,

Funny, I have always seen it spelled with a "Y". Elizabeth, in your name I find part of my own. I wonder if your mother, when she named me, saw a little bit of you in me and couldn't help herself. Subliminally she decided we would be connected and chose a name that was similar yet unique for both of us.

I am here now, in your state, trying to make a name. I consider how close we could have been. How much of an influence you could be in my life. If only our family was more closely knit. You could have explained to me the process required to register my car in California or the steps to ship it to this state. I guess I figured things out but why, when I had access to all your wisdom, did I have to struggle? Instead of inquiring I dove like a gold medal Olympian right into the mistakes and missteps I tried to avoid.

I bet you know a lot about the woes of love that I encountered in my life. You could have kept me from the pitfalls by reinforcing how beautiful I was as a child and tell me about how far I would be able to go once I set everyone else behind me and focused on my own worth. I still remember how you made me consider everyone else's worth and made sure that I tipped my waiter or waitress well. You would laugh to see how everyone looks at me strangely when I over tip no matter how bad the service.

I remember there was a day in Jacksonville where Mom, Ebony, and I went to a restaurant and even after the terrible service - waitress must have had a really bad day - and despite what Mom and Ebony stated I tipped $20. We prepared to leave and you wouldn't believe the appreciation on the waitresses face as she made sure to stop us as we were leaving and thank us. I smiled and nodded recalling your words that summer in 2009 as we sat at the pizza location in St. Thomas; they work hard for their money and live off of tips, make sure you pay well.

I will always be unhappy that I never connected more with my roots. That even "home" feels foreign to me. You provided me one of the rare moments where I felt grounded and rooted before the clouds reclaimed me and I was again daydreaming with beautiful rainbows and unicorns around me. This is my thank you because you truly impacted me more than you may ever know.

Love,




Lizann

1 comment:

For the Love of Diamond

I wanted to play around with description in this writing. The imagery here is meant to be vibrant and felt by the reader. I wanted my writin...