Saturday, April 23, 2016

Characters are FUN-damental

For me, there is nothing like a good character to tell a story. Sure a great plot can be rewarding, but my favorite interactions as a reader are with books that have a strong protagonist and antagonist: how they interact, what sets them apart, what makes them similar. It's like watching a beautiful dance as they met and separate and meet again. Sometimes the protagonist's antagonist can be the protagonist themself, the main character's conflict with who they are and who they want to be. My reflection on characterization came up because; as I adjust to living in Los Angeles I realize the importance of development. How it can help the reader to bond with the character, when you know what someone has been through or their thought process you want to cheer or jeer. If I can't give you something to love or hate how can you justify investing time in my reading. I prefer that the characters struggle to achieve a goal, and the setbacks they may encounter,  drive the plot rather than some convenient object that just solves all of the issues. This doesnt mean I wont use a dues ex machine in future writing.

One recent example I find a bit lacking in character is Alexander Luthor Jr. in the Batman V.S. Superman movie. So far the DC movies have been good with building their main characters through these newer launches. I enjoy Bane's dedication and purpose in The Dark Knight Rises and Superman's genuine humanity in the recent Man of Steel. Even the darker more sinister Joker in The Dark Knight has a character you can connect with: I will destroy your sense of morality and civilization. On the other hand, Lexy Jr. is portrayed as a twitchy psychopath whose dad issues manifest into an atheist view of the world. Done. With Lex Jr.  being a less known character to me  it would have been nice to better understand him, but I can't connect to him. I won't fault the writers because it is easy to have an opinion, but I know I wasn't invested. Lex Jr. comes across as more plot than character. He is a convenient means of bringing about the meeting of the two titans, creating Doomsday, an introduction to other Justice League characters, and a referencing point for the harbinger of doom yet to come, Darkseid. That’s all he really does. I spent no time with him. It would have almost been better to use a more obscure character to bring in Doomsday. Now with the Joker, there were many scenes to prove he was a character. One example is the explanation of why he uses a knife (found here) or the brief and accurate description provided by Alfred (here) There are so many more scenes like this explaining the Joker's view of the world and his thoughts of people. Lex didn’t really have this opportunity. It isn't terrible, but I'm not impressed. I know some enjoy a plot driven story, and to each his own, but sometimes that can leave the characters too shallow.  I do like when there is a balance though and plot with good characters brings it all home. Exhibit A, (one of my favorite shows to analyze) Game of Thrones or to some A Song of Fire and Ice series.

Now I have only read the first book (with plans to read the rest later) so this is based mainly on the TV series. There are actually two plots that this series has been leading up to in my opinion (this is only opinion). The first is, what kind of destruction will the approaching winter and eventual arrival of the white walkers bring to the people of Westeros? The second, what we all want to know in the end, who will seat the iron throne? In attempts to answer these questions what I like is you really get to see the characters George R.R. Martin created. My heart just about broke when I saw Lady Catherine go down in a magnificent display of motherly love. This is only a small spoiler, so if you haven’t seen the episode, it is so much MORE when you actually get to watch the series. By the time this happens, however, you know Catherine Stark is not some dainty "oh I’ll wait for all the men to do it" type of woman. She will cut down anyone for her children.

In the end, I’m a character fan. What the person stands for and what they can achieve on that mindset alone speaks volumes. Some characters can be such spectacular failure and make such awful choices, but I must still applaud their efforts. You tried Robb, and for that I thank you.

**07-2-2016: I have now watched the entirety of the movie 3 times including the ultimate edition as of today. I have found that the editing for the ultimate edition to be far more enjoyable and gives more depth to Lex Jr's character. I appreciate that he plays this like a chess game and you understand better how he pits Superman against Batman. For that I thank you Zack Snyder.
What I still don't understand is Flash visiting Batman in a dream or not? Batman waking up then waking up again is still a mystery I want to solve. If someone has a better understanding of this scene please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the Love of Diamond

I wanted to play around with description in this writing. The imagery here is meant to be vibrant and felt by the reader. I wanted my writin...