Friday, June 13, 2014

Exposed

     For some time it didn’t bother me. I sat there comfortably not concerning myself with it. It was a part of me. Then one day my face felt as if it were on fire.

     An uncontrollable itch urges my fingers upwards to my face and I scratch manically around the edges, trying to find relief. This tactic worked many times before but brings me no reprieve now and my nails only dig deeper. I find myself lost in the frenzy as my fingers tips scrape against my face. My nails try to catch the edges and pull at them but it won’t give so easily. I need it off and despite my attempts  it will not release itself. As if some unknown adhesive secures it to my skin. I can feel it pulling at my flesh as I try to pry it off. It is stubborn but I am determined to have it be done with it.

     I redouble my efforts to cast if from me. It is no longer who I am, why won’t it leave, and this becomes my subtle prayer trying to urge its removal. I will no longer allow its reputation to proceed my own. I yearn to see the world as myself and for the world to see me, even if I am to be judged.

      Then, just like that, it releases as if nothing had ever held it there. I am able to peel it away and already the world looks newer and brighter. I can already feel the difference in the wind and the sun feels like a caress on my face instead of a scorching torch now that my mask is removed.




     So there was this artist that I met on Wall Street the night of May 22nd in front of the WaiTiki Lounge. In attempts to support my local art I purchased a small item from Mr. Chris Tobar that was of interest to me.  Several of his pieces involved the use of a gas mask and many portrayed what appeared to me to be Native American markings. Before procuring the item I asked him for a better understanding. In response to my inquiry, and I will try my best to summarize here, he explained that we as a people wear masks in our society. He explains that as we search for ourselves we find realization one day and remove our masks after we go “native”. In other words as we find ourselves, and not simply what society determines we are, we are no longer alien to ourselves but so much  more. We are a deeper understanding of ourselves and not simply the mask most people see on the surface.
     Suffice it to say I was quite inspired. What I wouldn’t do to have written this during that moment of inspiration. Alas, other obligations required that I go to bed that night and so two days later I am trying to recapture the pure rapture and elation I felt when I considered his words that night. What If I were to take on the same state of mind? What if I am a native girl, a fighter for art, willing to take up the tools of my trade and defend my creativity? All I am waiting to do is unmask myself and become the creative mind I was meant to be.

      I leave you with one thing more that I strongly back:

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ARTIST!

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the Love of Diamond

I wanted to play around with description in this writing. The imagery here is meant to be vibrant and felt by the reader. I wanted my writin...