Monday, September 10, 2018

John Inspired Me

There are a great many music artists that I've fallen in love with, some for a specific time and some for a lifetime. I haven't quite figured out where John Mayer himself sits for me but his albums Room for Squares, Heavier Things, Continuum and Battle Studies are ones that will constantly be a part of the soundtrack to my life. So much so that at one point I dedicated two poems to his music interpreted in my own way. I share them now because it does not good to keep them to myself. So here are the recently updated versions of my own classics, please enjoy.

Ode to John Mayer I (life)

“Do You Know Me”is the question at hand 
cause I believe I’ve found who I think I am,
but I didn’t realize the stranger I’d become,
until I knew how it felt to be known by no one.

Internalizing my wrongs I feel the weight.
This “Gravity”takes a hold with no escape.
Thought I’d found my way by now
but I feel it pull me down.

Chains of manipulation, our only links
while anger and pain make me overthink.
Losing you to my own fears.
When will we learn no one wins in “Heartbreak Warfare.”

When it gets to be too much or I want change
I’ll stay like him, stoned in my home all-alone.
“Who Says”I can’t, my time is mine,
sometimes the world puts too much on my mind.

At other times I ask myself why we even try
cause “All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye”
to friends to family to yesterday
to life when I thought I’d just found my way.

Makes me want to yell conductor “Stop This Train” !
Cause life is moving forward once again
and I’m not ready to grow
all my wisdom’s just for show.

Some people say life is a bitch then you die.
Sometimes you have to find the faith to fight.
Despite it all I feel “The Heart of Life”must be good
things just don’t go the way they always should.



Ode to John Mayer II (heartbreak)
No matter what I do
It seems to always go “Back to You”
Parties and nights out, I’m living in a haze
you’re a reminder of my shallow ways.

We’re happily “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room”
while our love plays out of tune.
Because we can’t seem to let go,
because it would hurt to let you go.

But through his eyes I realize a few things
You and me could only be “Friend, Lovers, or Nothing”.
No halfway point on which to teeter
no future in which I’m vowed to her.

I could replace you with a “City Love”.
Maybe call her Lydia.
In the end I was never meant to stay long.
So I finally left. I could never right my wrongs.



Ode to John Mayer III (love)

You’re still angry I can hear it in your pacing.
Go to look for you and see it in your face then.
But I’m not ready for you to leave, let’s hit redo
“Come Back to Bed”, pray tomorrow brings something new.

It’s just that the price is way too high to pay
the decision to give you all of me.
Can’t let my guard down and to let you in.
 “I Don’t Trust Myself (With Loving You)”in the end.

Felt like my love never meant much,
a cold reflection of her ardent touch.
Finally, I learned my lesson
a wake up call from an “Assassin”.

Now I have no one and life has me down
“In Repair”from this moment on.
Looking to find who I can be
for someone other than me.

Cause I‘ve never felt pain as I do.
Now like him “I’m Gonna Find Another You”.
And I’ll be better, sweeter, and kind
all in hopes that I can take you off my mind.


Cause the long nights alone are too much to bear.
Craving for you to be there.
And his words speak; he knows how I loved her.
How I was on “The Edge of Desire”about to fall over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the Love of Diamond

I wanted to play around with description in this writing. The imagery here is meant to be vibrant and felt by the reader. I wanted my writin...